Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Lucky Overheard This Conversation

I feel so sorry for a lady that I work with. Her son goes to school at Ardmore. He’s a very gifted basketball player. Won player of the year this past season for Ardmore. Has been offered 3 college scholarships. Found out yesterday he didn’t pass the graduation exam. Can’t get the scholarships now. His mom is devastated. Two older siblings have kids by other people, not married, neither working, all living at home. He’s the child she hoped would get out of the ‘hood’. Now doesn’t look like he will due to a darn test that he can’t pass. She said he is so discouraged, cried last night and wouldn’t get out of bed this morning to go to school. More of our fed govt. getting involved in stuff that isn’t their business. Grad tests sound real good in the news. I remember when I was in high school a guy was a couple of years older than me. Everybody said he didn’t know how to read. I don’t know if he graduated or not but why should it be up to some state test to determine that? If the kid shows up and works enough that the teachers feel he should pass who’s to say. I worked with a guy at Groton had a great personality and was a very intelligent man. I seriously doubt he knew how to read but he always managed to get stuff read to him without actually asking you to read it. Smart man; I worked with him 16 years and he pulled it off the entire time.

No comments: